Stepping out of my comfort zone

5:05:00 pm



In past posts I’ve briefly talked about my anxiety and how I try to deal with it on a regular basis. Of course everybody has their down days every now and again however my anxiety stops me from doing so many things and I turn down a lot of opportunities/days out due to the constant worry of having a panic attack.

 Stepping outside of my comfort zone is something that I believe I have needed to do for a very long time to help myself become a more independent person. Overtime I feel overwhelmed by fear that I feel like there’s no room for excitement or adventure in my comfort zone.
With that in mind, I have felt it’s about time I start stretching the limits just a little bit by taking baby steps into escaping that constant fear of stepping out of my comfort zone whilst also building confidence on the way.


Don’t be afraid to be yourself: One of the biggest things that hold me back is the fear of what other people think of me. I lived my life for a good few years trying to impress everyone (even those that I didn’t really like too much) in the result of wanting to be liked for myself. I’m not ashamed to admit that I used to agree on a lot of things that I didn’t actually agree on for the pure fact that I was too afraid of expressing how I truly felt just in case someone didn’t like my opinion. That is not the way to live. Everyone has different personalities and different opinions which is what makes us so special and unique. It’s okay to be silly and inappropriate at times and it’s defiantly okay for you to express your own feelings and be who you are. You’re not going to get along with every person you meet and that’s fine. Shatter your concern for what people think of you because you’re allowed to be less than perfect.

See failure as a learning curve: I don’t take many risks due to the fear of failing something, so instead I’d rather just not try in the first place which I know is the completely wrong attitude. I remember reading the quote “Ever tried, ever failed. No matter, try again. Fail again, fail better” I need to start accepting that failures are a part of life and if I don’t fail something then I’m never going to learn for the next time I want to try again. Don’t let failure discourage you, pick yourself back up, learn from it and try again.

Say “yes” more often: Even if you think you’re not ready or if you’re not sure on something, just say yes anyway. Going back on the point of taking risks, saying yes may open up many opportunities for you and if it doesn’t succeed then that’s okay. You might find yourself enjoying something that you never got the chance to do before. Just remember that in the end, you could regret all the chances that you didn’t take.
Do something that scares you: I’ve talked about being a nervous traveller in a recent post; I have a huge fear of transport especially flying. Last year, I faced my fear and went on a plane to Amsterdam and even though it was a short 45 minute journey – I still did it and felt amazing afterwards that I was able to accomplish a major fear of mine. Managing that journey without having massive amounts of anxiety has made me realise that next time I can go that little bit further and be okay with it mentally.
Do you feel stuck inside of your comfort zone? I’d love to know your ways on how you push yourself out of it!

You Might Also Like

0 comments